Carmel Valley Real Estate
Camel Valley is a beautiful community located in the upper northwestern area of San Diego, California. One of the newer communities in San Diego, Camel Valley is a master-planned community that was formed by the city of San Diego in 1975, but construction in the area did not start until 1983. Although locally known as Camel Valley , it was officially known as North City West in the master plan. It was not until the early 1990’s that the name Camel Valley was officially adopted.
In the 1890s, the Sisters of Mercy came to the Camel Valley region from San Francisco, California. They were Carmelite Nuns who cared for the health of a member of the McGonigles family. In 1899, the McGonigles sold about 1000 acres of their land to the Sisters of Mercy, in return for continued medical services.
The Sisters established a dairy farm and grew a vegetable garden with the help of a skillful gardener. They supplied the diary products and vegetables to the hospital. The Sisters also ran an orphanage at the three-story Victorian house that they had constructed on the land. Even to this day, visitors can see the Victorian house located between Carmel Creek Road and Carmel Country Road. The Carmelite Sisters were instrumental in naming the region Camel Valley . They gave the name Carmel Mountain to a steep mesa located behind their new setting and also their property Mount Carmel Ranch after it. This was the origin of the name ‘Camel Valley’ as the area is known today.
Camel Valley is bordered by Pacific Highlands Ranch and the North City Future Community Urbanizing Area to the south by Torrey Hills; to the east by Del Mar Mesa and Pacific Highlands Ranch, and to the west by the 5 freeway and Torrey Pines. Originally just a small area, the community of Camel Valley has grown substantially recently. The community now fills the entire 92130 ZIP code. It is conveniently located near the beaches, and has a fabulous climate, which is something to brag about in San Diego!
- 42,047 total population (increase of 49.2% from 2000)
- 70.6% White
- 18.0% Asian & Pacific Islander
- 7.0% Hispanic
- 3.4% Other races
- .89% African American
- .001% American Indian
- 36.6 Median Age
- 2.7 Persons Per Household
- $120,866 Median Income
Camel Valley has an odd overlay of various school districts. For the elementary schools, the northern section is part of the Solana Beach School District (K-6). The southern section is managed by the Del Mar Union School District (K-6). Overlaying the San Diego Union High School District manages the middle schools and high schools. Some Camel Valley residents attend schools in the bordering communities of Pacific Highlands Ranch, Torrey Hills, and Torrey Pines.
- Elementary schools
- Ashley Falls (Del Mar Union School District)
- Carmel Creek (Solana Beach School District)
- Carmel Del Mar (Del Mar Union School District)
- Del Mar Pines (Private nonsectarian)
- Sage Canyon (Del Mar Union School District)
- Solana Highlands (Solana Beach School District)
- Solana Pacific (Solana Beach School District)
- Sycamore Ridge (Del Mar Union School District)
- Ocean Air (Del Mar Union School District)
- Torrey Hills (Del Mar Union School District)
- Middle/Junior high school
- Camel Valley Middle (San Dieguito Union High School District)
- High schools
- Torrey Pines (San Dieguito Union High School District)
- Canyon Crest Academy (San Dieguito Union High School District)
- Cathedral Catholic High School (Private)
- K through 8
- Notre Dame Academy (Roman Catholic)
- K through 12
- San Diego Jewish Academy (Jewish)
- Colleges and universities
- University of Phoenix, 11682 El Camino Real, (800) 473-4346
- Companies with offices in this neighborhood include:
- Oracle Corporation
- US Bank
- Scripps Health
- Fish & Richardson
- Morrison & Foerster
- The Allen Group
- The Neurocrine Biosciences headquarters is located in this neighborhood.